The OneStep® male fertility sperm count test kit indicates whether a man’s sperm concentration is greater or less than 20 million sperm per mL of sperm. The kit contains everything you need to do the test yourself, in the privacy of your own home. The sperm count test kit is fully CE approved, is accurate to 97%, and provides results in 15 minutes.
A positive result is going to be good news although it is not proof of fertility. A negative result suggests that the man should consult with his doctor as he is close to being sub-fertile, which is not all bad news because it does at least save a couple of months of trying for a baby when there maybe issues to resolve.
This kit contains two test panels and sample containers, thus allowing you to double-check your original result a week later.
Important notes before you begin:
Before testing, it is important that you refrain from any sexual activity for 3-7 days. This ensures that the volume and quality of sperm is at its peak and the test will then be an accurate determination of sperm count. The Test should then be carried out within a maximum of 2 hours. Once the test is carried out the result must be read within 5 minutes as the colour intensity of the test result will fade over time. As there are two tests you may like to photograph the test to compare results and also if you are unsure if the result is positive or negative.
Instructions for use:
- Do NOT remove the white/brown flakes inside the sample containers. They are meant to be there and aid in the testing process (more info on this can be found in the product datasheet).
- Using masturbation expel the semen directly into the sperm collecting cup. Condoms should be avoided as many contain chemicals that may affect the result. The flakes at the bottom of the sperm collecting cup should NOT be removed.
- Gently shake the semen occasionally in the semen collecting cup and allow to stand for 15 minutes at room temperature until the semen becomes fluid. Do not use sperm that is longer than 12 hours old.
- Remove the test panel from the foil pouch and lay it horizontally on a flat surface. Using the pipette from within the foil pouch collect a sample of the semen and put three drops of semen into Sample Well marked “A”.
- Once the semen has soaked into Well “A” add one drop of the blue staining solution (the bottle is labelled with 2 blue bands) to the same Test Well “A” using one of the smaller pipettes provided. Let it soak for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add two drops of the transparent washing buffer (the bottle is labelled with 2 pink bands) to Test Well “A”, and let it soak for 1-2 minutes, and then read the results immediately.
- Read the colour of Test Well “A”, comparing the colour of Test Well “A” to Reference Well “B”, the darker the colour of Well “A”, the higher the sperm count.
Understanding the results:
Positive results: The colour of test well A is darker than the standard colour of reference Well B, and that means the sperm count is greater than 20million/ml and sperm count is normal or high.
Negative results: The colour of test well A is lighter than the standard colour of reference Well B, and that means the count of sperm is less than 20million/ml, and sperm count is low. This is known as oligospermia (a range that is normally between 5million/ml and 20million/ml).
If well A is colourless this means the sperm count is less than 5million/ml or zero and this is known as azoospermia.
The OneStep® male fertility sperm count test kit includes:
- 2 x Test Panel
- 2 x Bottles of Solution
- 2 x Sample containers with white/brown flakes inside
- 1 x Instructions
You can read the product datasheet which includes more detailed information and instructions by clicking here.